Needlepoint/Long & short stitch does not cover canvas

Question
QUESTION: on 18 count canvas using Persian or 5 gauge pearl, the yarn does not cover the canvas when I use long and short stitch. What am I doing wrong?  THANK YOU

ANSWER: Hi Susan,

I am unsure what you mean by long and short stitch.  Would it be possible for you to follow up to this question with a close-up picture of the stitching? If I can see the problem, I will have a better idea of how you might correct the issue.

Thank you,

Doesn\'t cover canvas
Doesn't cover canvas  
QUESTION: Here is a photo of what I worked on. It is mono canvas. This is from a kit I purchased. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Answer
Hi Susan,

Thanks for the pic.  Yes, I see that the canvas is not being covered by the threads.  It's hard to tell what could be causing that, but I can think of only a few solutions.  It's possible your thread tension is too high, so you would need to not pull as hard when stitching.  Or, the 5 gauge pearl just isn't enough, and you go up to a 3 gauge; if it's persian, you'll need a second strand.

Frankly, I think the kit might have contained inadequate materials for the project, and should have included heavier gauge threads for those areas which called for the satin stitch.

Hope this helps,

Needlepoint

Henry Babcock