Needlepoint/fabric protection

I have 2 Christmas stockings finished that I would like to know if using a fabric protector on them will make the color bleed.

What is your suggestion for protecting all my hard work!

Hi Vickie,

To check if the needlepoint is color-fast, you should test it on an inconspicuous spot.  I might look for some of the needlepoint on a hem inside of the stocking to test with a cotton swab.

I haven't ever used any kind of fabric protector on any of my own pieces, so I can't make any recommendations regarding its use.  For a seasonal use item, such as stockings, I would find some space in a drawer in the house were they can lay flat, lightly wrap them in acid-free tissue, and store them there when not in use.

Henry Babcock

I learned needlepoint, knitting, sewing, etc. from my grandmother over 35 years ago. I can answer most questions on the subject of needlepoint. I know about producing needlepoint as well as cleaning, repairing and restoring.

Tip Jar

If you are looking for an appraisal of a needlepoint piece, please contact The American Needlepoint Guild:

I do NOT make referrals to specific service providers, please don't ask.

Almost 40 years using needle and canvas.

AS Marine Diving Technologies, SBCC 1998
BA Environmental Studies, UCSB 1993