Nephrology/High BUN/Creatinine

Question
Hello.  Beginning around summer of 2011, I had a blood test come back reporting high levels of Urea Nitrogen (BUN) and BUN/Creatinine Ratio. This was the first ever time this occurred.  On follow up blood work later in 2012, and the levels were high again. I woke up dehydrated (more than unusual) but drink several glasses of water before getting blood drawn. The doctor stated again "I was a little dehydrated" with BUN of 29 (should be 7-25) and a BUN/Creatinine Ratio of 29 (should be 6-22). On the last test,they were both lower (24, and 25).

I've read about possible causes.. I'd say my diet is moderate protein intake, though it's not much different than in years past. I do have urinary retention, but this is a side effect of an antidepressant medication I'm on... and I've been this way for many, many years as well. My father has low kidney function, along with many other conditions... So I'm just keeping a close eye on this. My doc doesn't seem concerned, as everything else is normal, and I'm healthy (30 years old), 140lbs or so, etc..

I do drink a lot of soda, and I can't seem to draw any conclusion that diet soda can cause issues with kidneys.  There are days I drink over 100 oz (though this isn't typical) but it's always diet.  I enjoy it and look forward to it and don't want to push it away unless it's truly causing the problem.

Answer
Jason,

Thanks for asking my help on "Allexperts".

I have discussed the causes of high BUN/Creatinine ratio many times on this forum. If you can look up my past responses, you will find a discussion of the causes of elevated BUN and BUN/Creatinine ratio.

There is scientific evidence to suggest that diet soda can cause a faster decline in kidney function.
http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/6/1/160.full

I'd like to point you to a discussion on this subject here:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20091102/diet-sodas-hard-on-the-kidneys

All of the participants were women, so Lin can't say for sure that the association holds for men, although she says there is ''no biological reason to think it wouldn't."

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

Nephrology

Dr. Shamik Shah, MD, DNB (Nephrology), ISN Fellow