Nephrology/WHAT STAGE CKD AND WHY HIGH POTASSIUM

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr Shah. My husband has one kidney and suffers from hypertension which is often difficult to control. He has diarrhea often and no-one can find out why, so has to be careful about dehydration. In the past year his GFR has ranged between 43 and just recently 22. Most tests have ranged between 22 and 30.  One test was 40 and one 43, done close together. At the time it was 22 he was hospitalised for high Potassium level (7.8). His nephrologist took him off two tablets for hypertension which could have been causing the high Potassium.  He was released from hospital when Potassium levels were normal but next day they were up to 5.8 and then two days later 6.4. Next test they were normal. Our lab considers 3.5 to 5.5 normal. Two questions, would you consider him to be stage 3b or stage 4 CKD and why do you think the Potassium levels went up again.  He had no symptoms at 7.8 and I am terrified they could go up again and we would not know - he obviously cannot go for blood tests every day. Thank you.

ANSWER: Rose,

Thanks for asking my opinion on Allexperts.

A careful history, physical examination, imaging of the urinary tract and review of old blood work are needed to know the cause of CKD. For ascertaining the cause of hyperkalemia, a review of present medications and a food diary are needed. Unfortunately, I cannot do this over the internet.

Please discuss your concerns with your husband's Nephrologist and follow his advice. I agree that tests cannot be done every day.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

QUESTION: Hello Dr Shah
Further to the above, my husband had a U/S of his kidney.  Result came back "The right kidney is normal in size, measuring 11.9cm.  The right kidney is increased
in echogenicity, which could be
due to renal failure, nephritis.  Minimal cortical thinning noted, measuring 0.9cm.  No renal calculi noted. No perinephric collections noted. No hydronephrosis noted. Evidence of left nephrecomy with chromic changes noted of the right kidney." What should this tell me.  Is it good or bad? I have heard that with only one kidney, the remaining kidney normally increases in size. Is it possible that it did increase in size and has now got smaller due to his kidney disease?

Answer
Rose,

Thanks for following up with me.

Increased cortical echogenicity with cortical thinning is bad news. In addition, compensatory hypertrophy should have increased the size more than 11.5 cm. That said, ultrasound is a very subjective assessment and is highly operator dependent.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

Nephrology

Dr. Shamik Shah, MD, DNB (Nephrology), ISN Fellow