Nephrology/A bit High Serum Creatinine level

Respected Sir,
         I am 66(Male),. In a routine check up(No ABNORMALITY OF ANY KIND)my Serum Creatinine level was found to be 1.64 mg/dl(higher) and my Serum Urea was 23.50 mg/dl. Although my Family Physician is saying it is not abnormal,he advised me to consult a Nephrologist. What is the implication ,what precaution and medicine I should take to bring down Creatinine Level?
   I am taking Blood pressure Medicines (Attenolol-25)and Losartan-25 one each daily to control my BP. Also I take Statin-5 mg and Fenofibrate-60 mg daily one tablet to control my lipid profiles.I walk a lot and do regularly exercise.Please help

Good evening, Kalyan,

Your creatinine is, in fact, abnormal.  However, it needs to be further defined by the performance of a 24 hour urine collection for creatinine clearance, which gives an estimation of the filtering function of the kidney. There is, also, a formula that can be used to determine the filtration rate of your kidneys.

This test only tells you that your kidney function is not normal.  The real question is why?  There are very many diseases that can effect kidney function.  For example, High blood pressure and elevated lipids (cholesterol) can cause premature hardening of the arteries of the kidney and can cause abnormal kidney function. This need to be evaluated.

The long and short of it, is that you need a full nephrology work-up and referral to a nephrologist is very appropriate.  You need to see if you have protein in your urine. You, also, need a renal ultrasound to assess the size of your kidneys and to be sure that you do not any obstruction to the flow of urine.

You have not given me enough information to be more specific, but, as you get more information, as the work-up progresses, I would be more than happy to review it for you and tell you what I think about it.

As I alluded to above, the consequences of hypertension (high blood pressure) and hypercholesterolemia would be high on the list of suspects and both are very treatable.

Again, as more information becomes available, please share it with me and I will tell you what I think.

Best of luck to you.

Dr Falkinburg

Newell R. Falkinburg, M.D., FACP

I am a board certified nephrologist and emeritus professor of medicine at a major medical school and past Director of Nephrology & Hypertension at a university affiliated hospital. I have expertise in all areas of clinical nephrology, dialysis, transplantation and plasmapheresis.

Professor of medicine Director of Nephrology