Nephrology/kidey finction

Question
dr shah,i am 80 years old and trying tofigure out if I have kidney desease,or normal aging kidney.when I had bph the urologist gave me renal scan.it showed kidney function of 45% and 55%in both kidneys.i never have protein in urine.the doctor gives me serum creatinine which is not accurate at my age but reads 1.35 with gfr 49.i think my kidney is normal part of being 80 and no kidney desease.what say you

Answer
Howard,

Thanks for asking my opinion on Allexperts.

You have not mentioned the normal reference range for serum creatinine in your lab. If a serum creatinine of 1.35 falls outside the reference range, you could have kidney dysfunction.

Please ask your physician about the result of the renal scan. A split function of 45% and 55% is normal, but what was the total GFR on the scan? Normal people are supposed to have a GFR of 100 ml/min. However, it is important to remember that GFR reduces by 1 ml/min per year after the 3rd decade of life.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

Nephrology

Dr. Shamik Shah, MD, DNB (Nephrology), ISN Fellow