Nephrology/Elevated S.Creatinine

Question
Dear Doctor,
I am a 64 year old male. I have a condition of raised  S.Creatinine level of 1.6 (average), with out any overt symptoms . My other conditions are mild  HTN and Lipid and I keep myself physically  fit and active. The Scr. value has not changed significantly since year 2008 when it was suddenly  found elevated, for no apparent reason, during  routine annual  medical (From  year 2002 till 2007,for which I have record, the value was always hovering  around 1.0) I had been taking  Aten 50 and Atorvastatin 5 mg  for  4 -5 years before this elevation was observed. I had been to a Nephrologist  for evaluation, who did everything except a biopsy and did not find anything significantly wrong with me, and only confirmed that the condition is stable.During this evaluation,I was found to have subclinical hypothyroidism too. I was thoroughly checked by an Ophalmologist for hypertensive retinopathy and found it to be of grade 1, Prostate enlargement also was found to be of grade 1, both the specialists attributing the respective  gradings  to my age. My question , Doctor, is, between year 2007 and 2008, how could my Scr. shoot up from 1.0 to 1.6 without any events and   then remains unchanged for the next  5-6 yrs ? Could  the HTN/Lipid medicines  be the culprits in this case ?  Secondly, would you say that if I really have stage 3 CKD ?

John

Answer
John,

Thanks for asking my help on Allexperts.

Without a careful history, physical examination and review of your past medical records, it won't be possible to hazard a guess why your s. creatinine value shot up.

You probably have Hypertensive Nephrosclerosis, which is a slowly progressive form of CKD. I am just curious why your Nephrologist did not perform a kidney biopsy then.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

Nephrology

Dr. Shamik Shah, MD, DNB (Nephrology), ISN Fellow