Nephrology/Edema and kidney function

Question
Good morning Doctor. My GP has just done a blood test and said the kidney function came back as borderline and he wants a re-test in a month. He did not give me the readings and says it could be a degenerated blood sample or something simple. However, besides the issues I originally went to him with, I have edema swelling in my lower left leg only which has started recently. I'm trying to find out why it would be left leg only and what I can do the prevent and improve it and also what I need to do to make sure my next blood test shows improvement

Answer
Charmaine,

Thanks for asking my opinion on Allexperts.

If you were my patient, I would not wait for a month to repeat the test for kidney function. As a patient, you have a right to know what was wrong with your test result. Please ask your GP again. If the result is abnormal, ask him to refer you to a specialist right away. Waiting will not help. If there is a reversible cause of kidney dysfunction, an early diagnosis can aid in proper treatment.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to "improve" your test result the next time.

Swelling in both legs can be due to kidney dysfunction. However, a unilateral swelling may be due to a local disorder in the venous or lymphatic system of that leg.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

Nephrology

Dr. Shamik Shah, MD, DNB (Nephrology), ISN Fellow