Nephrology/High Blood Pressure and Test Results

Question
Hi Dr. Shah, I'm a 25 year old male, and was diagnose with high blood pressure about a year and a half ago.  I'm in excellent shape, exercise regularly and eat well.  My primary care physician sent me to a nephrologist to look into why this could be happening at such a young age.  My father and grandfather had high blood pressure before me, but they still wanted to investigate.  

I did some blood tests as well as a renal artery and a renal utltrasound.  The only thing that came back as irregular was there were small amount of blood in my urine.  I have had small bouts of prostatitis in the past, so they doctor thought that maybe the cause. She also noticed that my left kidney is slightly smaller than my right.  

I went back to the nephrologist about a year later (two weeks ago) and did some tests again.  I again had blood in my urine.  She also ordered complement C3 and C4 tests, lupus tests, and hepatitis tests.  Everything came back normal, except the complement tests were on the low side.  My complement C3 value was 77 with a refence range of 90-180, and my complement C4 value was 17 with a value of 16-47.  I found that other reference ranges for C3 are lower (70-160), but I am slightly concerned about the results due to the illnesses that low C3 and C4 can predict.

Do you think there is anything to be concerned about or could it be related to prostatitis or something else?  I haven't really had any other symptoms or anything such as swollen legs or face or painful joints.  One other point of interest is that my PCP requested that i measure my blood pressure on and off medication for the last month or so, and the values have been low enough when I haven't been on medication that my PCP said I can stop taking it entirely and to closely monitor my blood pressure.  Do you think that's a good idea?  

Thank you, I appreciate the time.

Answer
Brandon,

Thanks for asking my opinion on Allexperts.

The presence of red blood cells in the urine is one of the red flags for the presence of glomerular disease. If you were my patient, I would order a phase contrast microscopy to see if the RBCs in your urine are dysmorphic. If so, I'd discuss the pros and cons of doing a kidney biopsy with you.

The differential diagnoses would include IgA Nephropathy and Thin Basement Membrane Disease.

I don't see a problem with discontinuing your BP meds as long as you closely follow your blood pressure religiously.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

Nephrology

Dr. Shamik Shah, MD, DNB (Nephrology), ISN Fellow