Nephrology/37 yr old male with eGFR of 75

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

I went through some test results for my husband and since 2009 to present, tested 2x a year his eGFR has been between 72-78 (range >60). I have read that at his age of 37 his eGFR should be 110.

All his other lab results are in normal range. Creatinine is normal, no protein in urine, BUN normal, etc.

How concerning is this? Some articles state he has stage 1 kidney damage?? And the eGFR also declines with age. Is he eventually going to have chronic kidney failure when he is in his 60s or 70s?

We are very concerned.  Thank you

ANSWER: Ms. Walker,

Thanks for your question on Allexperts.

Not all people will have a GFR of 110 ml/min. Also, after the third decade of life, GFR reduces by 1 ml/min per year in normal people. I would not be too worked up about the eGFR value as long as his S.Creatinine is within normal range.

However, to put your fears to rest, ask his primary care physician to order a 24 hour creatinine clearance.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply.

So if he is close to 40 yrs old now and his egfr is near 70 does this mean when he is 60 yrs old he will have a egfr of 50 which means he will have kidney failure??

Please advise. Thank you.

Answer
Thanks for following up with me.

In the last decade a new paradigm has been introduced in which the true or measured GFR is estimated (eGFR) by formulas based on serum creatinine levels and in which these estimates are applied to the diagnoses of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in the general population. These criteria for diagnosis of CKD include an absolute threshold for eGFR, unadjusted for the effects of age on the normal values for eGFR. A consequence of these criteria has been to overstate the frequency of CKD in the general population and to generate many “false positive” diagnoses of CKD.

Thus, the conclusion is that GFR slowly decreases with ageing as a normal biological phenomenon linked to cellular and organ senescence, and that a low GFR in an elderly person, compared to the value found in a youthful person, is not necessarily a manifestation of a specific disease. This is not to say that specific diseases cannot be superimposed on the normal ageing process and thereby influence the rate of decline in GFR seen in individual patients.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah

Nephrology

Dr. Shamik Shah, MD, DNB (Nephrology), ISN Fellow