Nephrology/Mother CKD problem

Dear Sir,
History of my mother illness , Agr-67-

My mother is suffering with kidney problem from Nov 2012. She was first dragonets creatinine 9 due to her TLC level was 32000. She was admitted for 25 days. During that time 6 time dialysis has been done. Her last dialysis was on March 2013 and since then she is on medicine and able to reduce her creatinine value from 9 to 2.4.

Sometime this value increase due to increase in TLC value. Then she has to take antibiotic for one week and then again she control the creatinine value 2.4.

She is also having BP & diabetic from last 7-8 years and normally it is under control level. We do check daily and she is also taking ESLO 5 for BP control twice / day.

Last 2 months her creatinine value increasing slowly. Now her
Creatinine value is 3.2
Uric acid is 5.7,
Protein 6.7,
Phosphorus 6.7
Urea 88.10,
TLC is 10.90K

Doctor has started one medicine to control the Phosphorus is- Acutrol 400 mg -3/days for one week.

Her regular medicine are- Alfa d3, shelcol 500, nodosis ,nexiron, zintac, ( Rolien 2mg started last month for one month only),  Nucarnit F. )

Sir, I need your guidance, why suddenly creatinine increasing and what to do. Please guide me so that I can save her for dialysis problem  

Vaibhav K Sriavstava

Thanks for asking my opinion on Allexperts.

From your description, it seems that your mother is suffering from Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). A gradual rise in S. Creatinine is the normal course of this disease process. Unfortunately, the damage that has been done cannot be undone. We can only try to prevent further progression of CKD.

Please follow her Nephrologist's advice.

Dr. Shah

P.S: By the way, dialysis is not a "problem" but a solution for millions of patients suffering from CKD

Dr. Shamik Shah, MD, DNB (Nephrology), ISN Fellow

I can answer all questions related to kidney diseases, hypertension, plasmapheresis and kidney transplantation. I am an Indian-Board certified Nephrologist. I was a post-Doctoral Scholar at the Division of Nephrology & Hypertension,Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego. My area of interest is Critical care Nephrology and Acute Kidney Injury.

Please mention the units in which your lab results were reported and the normal reference range for your laboratory.

Alternative Website

Ten years as a Critical Care & Transplant Nephrologist

International Society of Nephrology
Indian Society of Nephrology
Indian Medical Association
European Renal Association

- Shah SH, Cerda J. Acute Tubular Necrosis; Lerma, Edgar V., Rosner, Mitchell eds. Clinical Decisions in Nephrology, Hypertension and Kidney Transplantation. Springer ISBN 978-1-4614-4453-4, pp. 191-198
- Shah SH, Cerda J. Management of Acute Kidney Injury; Lerma, Edgar V., Rosner, Mitchell eds. Clinical Decisions in Nephrology, Hypertension and Kidney Transplantation. Springer ISBN 978-1-4614-4453-4
- Cerda J, Tolwani A, Shah SH, Ronco C. Continuous Renal Replacement Therapies in Modeling and Control of Dialysis Systems edited by Azar AT, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany (In Press)
- Shah SH, Cerda J, Kellum JA. Acute Kidney Injury in Special Circumstances. John Kellum, Jorge Cerda, eds. Renal and Metabolic Disorders, Oxford University Press (In press)
- Shah SH, Mehta RL. “Anticoagulation in CRRT: Is Citrate better?”; Vineet Nayyar Ed. Critical Care Update 2009, Jaypee Brothers (In press)
- Shah SH, Mehta RL. “Non-dialytic management of acute kidney disease”; Evidence based Nephrology, BMJ, (In press)
- Shah SH, Mehta RL. “Epidemiology of Community-acquired AKI”; Ronco C, Bellomo R, Kellum J Eds. Critical Care Nephrology, Saunders. ISBN 1-4160-4252-0
- Abdeen O, Shah SH, Mehta RL; “Dialysis therapies in the surgical intensive care unit”; William Wilson, Christopher Grande, David Hoyt Eds. Trauma: Resuscitation, Anesthesia, and Critical Care, Informa Healthcare, NY 2007. ISBN 0-8247-2920-X
- Shah SH, Mehta RL. Acute kidney injury in critical care: time for a paradigm shift? Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2006 Nov;15(6):561-5.
- Shah, SH, Soroko S, Lischer E, Mehta RL. Delivered vs. Prescribed dose of Dialysis in Hospitalized Patients: Results of an Audit. J Am Soc Nephrol 17(Abstracts Issue): 2006, 107A.
- Shah SH et al “Biochemical Nutritional Parameters in Non-vegetarian and Vegetarian CAPD patients” Perit Dial Int 2001; 21 Suppl 2: S1-182

MBBS, MD (Internal Medicine), Diplomate of National board (Nephrology), ISN Fellow

Educational Ambassador of the International Society of Nephrology 2010
Fellowship of the International Society of Nephrology 2005.
Young Investigator Award by the International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis 2001