You are here:

Netherlands (Holland)/teaching English in NL - teacher's levels


Dear Anneke,

Can you explain me what is the difference between 1e graad and 2e graad engels docent in NL? I asked some Dutch people but they didn't know ;(
I am an English teacher with university degree. In my country I can teach it with it where I want with it - kindergarten, primary school, comprehensive, school, high school or university.
thank you for your help.


Hello Lena,
I'm not sure if you're aware of the schoolsystem in the Netherlands?
If not, this link provides a lot of explanation:

The picture at the top explains it all really.

The policy is that teachers have had a higher education than their students (will get).

The difference between the 1st and 2nd degree teachers is that 1st degree teachers have finished a university and an additional year of teacher training and can teach in the final years of HAVO and VWO, and HBO. A 2nd degree teacher can teach at VMBO, the first three years of HAVO and VWO, and MBO. To teach at university you need to have a doctorate.

So with your education you could teach HAVO, VWO and HBO but not university. To be allowed to teach in the Netherlands you may have to get a year of teacher training.

I hope this answers your question, if you would like additional information please do not hesitate to ask me.

Kind regards,
Anneke Oosterink

Netherlands (Holland)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Anneke Oosterink


Customs and daily life in general. More specifically, schools and universities. I know a lot about the way people live here.


Schools and Universities, daily life and customs

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]