Neuroscience/Amnesia and Linguistics

Question
I am a native speaker of English, but I am also fluent in Spanish. I have learned it in classes, and have begun to speak it fluently as I interact with coworkers and watch movies in Spanish.

I gave you that background to ask this question: If I were to have retrograde amnesia, would I forget Spanish? Could I forget English? Would I still understand Spanish if someone spoke it to me?

Just one of those questions I've always wondered. Thanks.

Answer
Hello, Mr. Carter
If retrograde amnesia was active in the period of language learning (either English, or Spanish, or whatever), you would definetely loose most of your language skills.
Hope you will avoid such cruicial changes in your life.

Alexander Moskvin, MD, Ph.D. Science Shief of Social Stress Clinic/Infoecology Research Institute, Moscow-Russia
institute@infoecology.ru

Neuroscience

Alexander Moskvin