Neuroscience/cognitive neuroscience

When a person is asked a question and comes up with an answer, but decides that the answer is inappropriate and instead of saying the answer, decides to remain silent, what part of the brain is  suppressing / inhibiting what other part of the brain?  I assume it's the prefrontal cortex inhibiting Brocas area or maybe Wernickes, but I need to be sure.  Can you include a citation in your answer?

Your question has much more than one answer, as an internal dialog is controlled by different neuro centres of corex. Besides, in neuro impulses blocking mechanismes we found the connection with lateralisation of brain, emotional stress level, alarm reactions, fear, etc.
The influence of neuroendocrine system (hypothalamus-pituitary) - is a very important element. Please, note that in your question you missed the phenomena of mutuial induction, which is unavoidable in communicational exchange.

The main conclusion: there are different mechanismes blocking the transformation of internal speach into external.
You may consider this answer as a quotation. I can also disscus with you different aspects of this topic if you have scientifical or practical interest in it.

Best regards,
Alexander Moskvin, MD, Ph.D. Science Shief of Social Stress Clinic/Infoecology Research Institute, Moscow-Russia

Alexander Moskvin

You could ask me any question connected with psychosomatic medicine, social informational stress, non-chemical addictions, media and digital technologies influence on psychoemotional and physical well-being, status of psychotherapy and addictology medical help in Russia, Moscow.

Clinical practice experience in Russia for over 22 years, more than 40 scientific papers, 2 patents for inventions.

The head and the founder of The Infoecology Research Institute/ Social Stress Clinic. The Infoecology Institute is a private research clinical center. It is the key Russian clinic, dealing with the problems of social and informational stress.

More than 30 scientific papers dedicated to the problem of informational stress and human factor in medicine.

MD, PhD, neurophysiology, psychotherapy, defended the thesis on urgent medicine risks associated with the personality of surgeons and intensivists.

Social stress disorders, psychosomatic deseases,chronic painful syndromes, non-chemical addictions etc.