Neuroscience/coma

Question
My uncle had a o.d from methadone and went into a coma  he was unresponsive but I just learned his eyes were open and moving as if in a rem sleep. His imedeate family took him off life support after one week...  Being that he had strong eye movement can you be completly brain dead and have r.em

Answer
I really sympathize you with this situation. The only thing i can advise now is to send us necessary medical information, including the results of eeg-monitoring. We are also ready to discuss the question with the specialists, who treat your uncle.   
Best regards,
Dr. Alexander V. Moskvin, MD, PhD.

Neuroscience

Alexander Moskvin