Neuroscience/Scope of understanding the brain in the future

With today's level of understanding of what is known about how the human brain works, in comparison with what is not known, currently how far along an imaginary scale - from 0% understanding to 100% understanding - are scientists now?

Also, when or if full understanding of the brain's structures and functions are achieved, is there any reason that somebody's functioning brain could not be modeled and set to run as a complex piece of computer software, provided the computing power were available?

Hello, Simon.
I quite often get similar questions and let myself give you the text from my earlier letter:
"Morfofunctional features of a brain at the present stage of researches and knowledge in area neuroscience are studied full enough of what you can be convinced having familiarised with the extensive literature on studying of anatomy and morphology of nervous system. Percentage comes to 70-80 %
At the same time if we speak about a problem of studying of interaction of a brain with environment its functional mechanisms of reception and processing of information stimulus, functional communications, influence of ecological factors, influences of population and evolutionary processes, that can be assumed that the science is only in the beginning of a way of knowledge. Development of new technologies gives a new impulse for studying in new foreshortenings, therefore in the listed aspects I named figure 3-5 of %...."

What about the second part of your question, undouptedly there are attempts to model some brain functions and sometimes these attempts are quite successfully (neuromodeling, neurointerface, neurofeedback etc.). When it comes to creation of the whole complex model, it seems to me as possible as to recreate Da Vinchi`s works. The original will always be different from the most perfect copy.
However as far as I see it, the creating of such a model is a question of 15-50 years.

Best regards,
Dr. Alexander Moskvin, MD, PhD,
Infoecology Institute  

Alexander Moskvin

You could ask me any question connected with psychosomatic medicine, social informational stress, non-chemical addictions, media and digital technologies influence on psychoemotional and physical well-being, status of psychotherapy and addictology medical help in Russia, Moscow.

Clinical practice experience in Russia for over 22 years, more than 40 scientific papers, 2 patents for inventions.

The head and the founder of The Infoecology Research Institute/ Social Stress Clinic. The Infoecology Institute is a private research clinical center. It is the key Russian clinic, dealing with the problems of social and informational stress.

More than 30 scientific papers dedicated to the problem of informational stress and human factor in medicine.

MD, PhD, neurophysiology, psychotherapy, defended the thesis on urgent medicine risks associated with the personality of surgeons and intensivists.

Social stress disorders, psychosomatic deseases,chronic painful syndromes, non-chemical addictions etc.