Neuroscience/The brain

Question
Hi! I am researching the brain right now. I have heard that while in brain surgery, if the speech area in the brain is damaged, it can destroy it. Making the patient unable to speak or even understand what other people are saying. Is the amount of damage that can be caused really that awful? Or is it not true? Thank you!

Answer
Hi, Maddie!
You are absolutely right: about 15 years ago the speech area damage was the severest complication of the brain surgery.
Today the number of complications is minimized due to stereotaxis. However in case of low medical qualification or unfortunate concentration of circumstances, the damage can be really serious, and rehabilitation process - ineffective.

Dr. Alexander Moskvin, MD, PhD
Infoecology/Social Stress Clinic

Neuroscience

Alexander Moskvin