New Age/Meditation

Hello. If you would please consider not using my full name in your response, that would be great.

I try to meditate, but am not getting expected results. I empty my mind and focus on my chest or third eye area, counting to give me something to focus on so my mind doesn't wander. Sometimes I see nonsense images and last night a heard a name I don't know and got the impression of a Chinese man (I am not Chinese).

I am also concerned about being influenced or overcome by an evil spirit, though I surround myself with a bright white light while meditating.

Can you please help me? Thank you for your time!

I am not an active meditator, but it seems to me that the results are varied.  I used to think it was kind of ethereal, but, really, it
just relaxation and focusing your attention.  When you mediate, think of your mind's eye like a movie screen.  You'll "see" lots of things, some of it may seem strange or nonsensical.  Don't let it concern you.  If you see or hear something, go back to your breath.  What you see are aspects of yourself, almost like a waking dream.  I'd not fear evil spirits.  It is good to surround yourself with light, but I don't think one need fear evil spirits in meditation any more than in sleep.  Meditation can open up higher abilities, like psychic ability,but that may or may not happen.  Basically, meditation gets you more in touch with yourself.

New Age

Joel Bjorling

I can answer questions on New Age philosophy, as well as meditation, channeling, reincarnation, wicca, ascended masters, and the tarot.

Personal study, participation in a New Age/metaphysical study group, and I have written books entitled Reincarnation: A Bibliography (Garland), Channeling: A Bibliogrpahic Exploration (Garland), and Consulting Spirits (Greenwood). I also read the tarot.

United Lodge of Theosophy Universal Faithists of Kosmon

Reincarnation: A Bibliography (Garland) Channeling: A Bibliographic Exploration (Garland) Consulting Spirits (Greenwood) "It's in the Cards" (a newspaper article about the tarot)

B.A., Behavioral Science; MTS, Theological Studies