New Hampshire/Kancamaugus Highway

Why was the originaly road constructed?
What mountain do we go over when we travel the Kanc?

The \'Kanc\'
The 'Kanc'  
The Kancamagus Highway opened in 1959 after two dead-end stretches of road were linked, creating a connection between Interstate 93 in Lincoln and New Hampshire Route 16 in Conway. Traveling almost entirely within the White Mountain National Forest, the highway follows the Swift River valley west and climbs to the summit of Kancamagus Pass at an elevation of 2,855 feet. Locally known as "The Kanc," the road was paved in 1964, and in 1968 it was plowed for the first time.
The highway is named after Kancamagus (pronounced "Kank-ah-MAW-gus", The Fearless One[citation needed]), third and final Sagamore of the Penacook Confederacy of Native American tribes. Nephew of Wonalancet and grandson of Passaconaway,Kancamagus ruled what is now southern New Hampshire. Wearied of fighting English settlers, he made the decision in 1691 to move north into upper New Hampshire and what is now Quebec, Canada.

New Hampshire

Mike Corthell

I can answer and questions about tourism, the economy, state and local government, recent state and local news, New Hampshire history. If I don't know the answer I can find it quickly. Ask away!

I am a college educated 'current events/history buff'. I love New Hampshire and I am eager to promote it.

Organizations, TV Producer, Marketing Director,Fryeburg Business Association, Fryeburg Historical Society

Publications, Mike Corthell Blog

Northern Essex College - Liberal Arts