New Mexico/Beach Bungalow

QUESTION: Hello Steve,
I am a 59 year old, Caucasian, single male living in Tennessee U.S.A. I am searching to rent a super economical beach bungalow in Florida or the Carribbean area,(for the sake of cheaper airfare), for a couple of weeks or a month every year or so, during the worst of Winter weather...nothing fancy, just a hut or bungalow on or near the beach where I can relax, fish, read, and catch up on stuff and stay warm. I will be by myself. Not into night life, the club scene, or woman chasing. Just a simple, no frills or luxuries, primitive stay where I can get cheap eats, stay warm, and rest, but in a safe location.
I've found bungalows for low as $10.00/night on Corn Island, Nicaragua and beach bungalows in India for the same price, but I fear either getting robbed or the possibility of having someone plant drugs on me because they might dislike Americans, and then the nightmare or possibility of dealing with their legal systems and possibly a long prison stay.
Can you provide me with any recommendations or provide information on any links, books, etc. that would help me with what I have described above; preferrably in a country which utilizes a legal system as used in America?
I checked on airfares to some neat bungalows in Thailand but round trip would cost $1600.00. I think maybe Florida or the Carribbean area might be best economically.
Are there any places maybe in Southern New Mexico where I could stay in a campground or cheap places to get through the worst of Winter weather?

Thank you greatly.

Mike E.

We are having some problems with this site.  Did you receive the answer to  your question?

QUESTION: Hi again Steve,
I sent my question to around 40 AllExperts. As I reviewed various replies, I can't recall your name in a reply or an answer.

Hi Mike,
Sorry for the mixup.  I don't recommend trying to spend the winter in southern New Mexico.  Most people don't realize that, while southern New Mixico appears to be a desert, it is actually a "high plains."  The lowest point in southern New Mexico has an altitude of around 3500 feet.  So the winters can be cold and snow is not uncommon.  The low temps in the winterr frequently hover in the 30's and incursions into the 20's are not all that uncommon.  
If I were you I would look into Florida, Arizona or southern California.  I have also heart of some "American compounds" in Mexico tht might be very attractive.  Sorry I'm not more help.

Good luck!

New Mexico

Steve Young

I can answer most any travel question relating to New Mexico. I have lived all over New Mexico and I am quite familiar with the "nooks and crannies" and places that are off the beaten track.

I love to travel and explore. I spend a lot of my spare time exploring different areas.

I am a graduate of the University of New Mexico. My degree is in Environmental Biology. I have studied riparian river systems throughout New Mexico and concentrated on the area around Taos.