New York City for Visitors/First time braving the NYC cold

Question
Hi, I'm from the Caribbean and have never experienced any cold weather below 70 in my life. I plan in traveling to NY in about 2 weeks with my boyfriend. Any advice on how to dress in order to make the cold weather manageable for a first timer? Also, what type of coat, shoes, hat etc would you recommend? Anything that would help me out would be really appricated! Thanks in advance.

Answer
Having a wool coat, hat, scarf and gloves will help. Also, think about layering your clothes. Consider buying thermal underwear even if you only wear the top. I really like to wear warm knee socks with pants, then layer my upper body with a thin tee whirt, then a long sleeve top, and perhaps a sweater over that. The layering method traps your body heat. Then I wear a coat,gloves, scarf...etc etc. Hope this reaches you in time. Enjoy!

New York City for Visitors

J