New York City for Visitors/New York City

Question
I've got a problem. I list locations by city, but I have a problem whether to list locations in New York City by Brooklyn, The Bronx, by Queens or what. For example, the Conference House is in Tottenville, New York which is now part of Staten Island, but do I list it by Tottenville or Staten Island? Brooklyn: is it a city or a borough? Woodlawn Park in the Bronx: is it in the city of New York, the borough of the Bronx or the suburb of Woodlawn? Another problem, one location is a historical candy store on 32nd Street in the Bronx, but 32nd Street runs into Queens, not the Bronx. Can you help me out at all here?

Answer
Hi WIlliam and thanks for writing.

You haven't mentioned exactly what you need these listings for...which would be helpful to know.

But, to answer to your question... New York City is divided into the boroughs of Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens and Brooklyn. All boroughs are parts of New York City.  So, although I might live in the borough of Queens, if someone asked me where I live, I would say New York City.   If someone who lives in New York City asked me, I'd tell them, Queens, to isolate the location more closely

If you are advertising locations for people to visit, I would certainly suggest including the borough.  (As for the historical Candy Store, I'd call the store and ask what borough that are part of.)  New York City is huge.  So, knowing what borough an attraction in located in is extremely helpful, if not necessary, to gage how far it is from the person's home or hotel.

Hope that helps!

Jill

New York City for Visitors

Jill