New York City for Visitors/Christmas Tree Lighting at Rockefeller Center 2012

Can you tell me when the Rockefeller Center tree will be lit in 2012 and any tips for seeing the actual lighting such as how far in advance to arrive for the lighting ceremony.  Thank you.

Peter Connor

Hi Peter,

This year (2012) the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting (also known as Christmas in Rockefeller Center) is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, November 28, 2012.

Tips for attending the tree lighting celebration

Each year Christmas in Rockefeller Center gains more and more popularity, and, as a result, much like Times Square on New Year's Eve, Rockefeller Center gets crowded quickly. Many people begin arriving as early as noon on the day of the tree lighting. The preliminary show leading up to the lighting begins at 7 p.m. with the actual lighting of the tree taking place at 8:55 p.m. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

*Arrive early to secure a good viewing spot, and, be prepared to stand for hours. Comfortable shoes are a must!
*Dress WARM. December in New York City is cold. Heavy coats, hats and gloves are a must for standing in the cold night air.
*If rain or snow is predicted, come prepared with umbrellas and waterproof coats, hats and gloves.
*Do NOT drive. Take mass transit to Rockefeller Center. Streets surrounding Rockefeller Center are subject to closure the evening of the tree lighting ceremony as determined necessary by the New York City Police Department.

Enjoy the show!

New York City for Visitors

T.R. Threston

Can Answer: Luxury travel questions about NYC regarding: Manhattan Hotels; General NYC Information; NYC area airport information (general knowledge such as ground transportation); Sightseeing & Attractions; Restaurants; Theater/Broadway; and, General Shopping in NYC.

As a professional travel writer, and, a life-long NYC area resident, I am more than qualified for answering questions about New York City. My Written Work Can Be Found Here: (2 different travel columns) CBS New York Yahoo Matador

Publications CBS New York Yahoo Matador

Caldwell College Business Administration, B.S.