New York City for Visitors/The Palace Hotel vs The Plaza Hotel

Hi T.R.,

My question is about hotels in Manhattan.  I will be visiting New York in early December, and, I have narrowed my hotel choices down to The Palace Hotel or The Plaza Hotel.  Is one better than the other?  Which one would you recommend?

Sam from the U.K.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your question!  Honestly you can't go wrong with either hotel.  Both are located in Midtown Manhattan, and, both have easy access to Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue for shopping.  The main difference is that everyone knows The Plaza Hotel, and, therefore, you will find people who aren't guests coming in and out of the (Plaza) hotel to take pictures and just see the landmark hotel.  The Palace Hotel offers an understated elegance, and, has the advantage of being on Madison Avenue which is a bit more quiet than Fifth Avenue especially during the busy holiday season, and, The Palace is my recommended hotel.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!

New York City for Visitors

T.R. Threston

Can Answer: Luxury travel questions about NYC regarding: Manhattan Hotels; General NYC Information; NYC area airport information (general knowledge such as ground transportation); Sightseeing & Attractions; Restaurants; Theater/Broadway; and, General Shopping in NYC.

As a professional travel writer, and, a life-long NYC area resident, I am more than qualified for answering questions about New York City. My Written Work Can Be Found Here: (2 different travel columns) CBS New York Yahoo Matador

Publications CBS New York Yahoo Matador

Caldwell College Business Administration, B.S.