New York City for Visitors/Madison Ave
QUESTION: I'll be in NYC next week, Thurs-Sat and staying on Madison Ave.. Can you recommend some cheap places to eat in the area as well as things to do? Thanks
ANSWER: I'd be happy to help! Please tell me what street you will be staying on that intersects with Madison Avenue. This will tell me what neighborhood you will be in. Thanks!
---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------
The New York Palace
455 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Phone: (212) 888-7000
ANSWER: Hi Roger,
The Palace is a beautiful hotel. Some things to do:
1) Go to the theater. There are many ways to go for less money. You aren't that far from the theater district, you just have to walk cross town. If you need recommendations of what to see let me know and tell me if you like musicals, comedies, etc. Check out this page:
2) St. Patrick's Cathedral is only steps away from your hotel. Check out details here:
3) I don't know if you've been to NYC before, but I would certainly suggest visiting some of the well-known sites such as the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock (near your hotel), the Metropolitan Museum of Art and more. The most cost effective way is to purchase a pass. You pay one price and get admission to all places plus other great advantages. Check out all passes here and see which one works best for you:
4) Consider going to a TV show and sit in the audience. They are free but you must order the tickets. It's really a lot of fun. I've gone to Jimmy Fallon's show and it's great. Check out all available TV shows here: http://www.nyc-visitor-discounts.com/free-tv-show-tickets.html
5) Walking tours are a great way to get a feel for a particular part of the city. It might be just too cold but wait and see. Here is a listing of some of the tours available:
I'm happy to recommend places to eat if you can be more specific. What price range are you looking for? Lunch? Dinner? Do you like a particular kind of food. Must it be in the area or are you willing/or will have the time to walk or take a subway==or will you not have the time? Please be as specific as possible. Are you coming to NYC for business?
---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------
QUESTION: Looking for breakfast, lunch & dinner at a reasonable price. We're open to any type food really but would focus more on American traditional, Italian, Burgers, pizza, sandwiches. Willing to walk.
If you are really on a VERY tight budget, I'd suggest the many, many salad/deli places in your area. You can walk in, help your self to a salad, hot buffet, or sandwiches that are available along with a huge variety of drinks. In addition, you'll find tons of pizza places in the area too. If you walk over to Lexington, third, and second avenues, you'll see tons of places to eat at very reasonable prices.
Here are some other thoughts:
1)Cosi at 60 E 56th Street, Between Madison & Park Ave, which offers salads, soups and the like.
2)PJ Clarkes is a great pub like place with fabulous burgers. They are located at 915 3rd Avenue at 55th Street
3) Another place for burgers is the Burger Joint at 118 West 57 Street, between Sixth and Seventh Avenues
4) The Carnegie Deli is not too far from you at 854 7th Avenue at 55th Street. They are famous for their mile high sandwiches. They are HUGE!
Another fun thing to do is to sample the food trucks. NYC features real gourmet food trucks that specialize in all sorts of things from home made pizza (in the trucks) to Mexican Food. Find a listing here: http://www.nyc-visitor-discounts.com/food-trucks.html
Hope that helps!
let me know if you need other help.