New York City for Visitors/NYC Taxi question

I travel to the city at least once a month for business. Soon to be living in the area but I'm traveling back and forth for now. But I'm asking this as an outsider.

At the NYC area airports (EWR included) is it better to catch a yellow taxi to my hotel or one of these "car services" who are always looking for riders? I feel like I get duped every time. Would it be more expensive or less expensive for me? By my mind it shouldn't cost me close to $100 to go like 8 miles (through a toll bridge to be sure, but still.)

Advise to keep me from getting ripped off and feeling like a yokel from Alabama who has no business going to NYC?

Regarding taxis, I'd stick with the yellow ones simply for safety.  The others cannot be guaranteed as they are 'gypsy' cabs.

There are other options besides taxis though if you'd like to save money.  There are buses, cab sharing and the like.  See this page, select the airport you are going into and see options.

Hope that helps.

New York City for Visitors

I can answer virtually any questions about visiting New York City including what to see, where to stay, how to visit for less, where to eat, where to shop, top visitor attractions, transportation options, etc...

I am a writer and creator of the website As a long time resident (I have lived in 4 of the city's 5 boroughs), my site provides tips and secrets about the city I love. I am always on the go and keep abreast of all the city's top shows, restaurants, walking tours, and more! With my help you'll see and experience everything in NYC for less and benefit from my recommendations.

Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts