You are here:

New Zealand/racing schools to become a trainer


hello sir, are there horse racing schools providing racehorse training course in your country?

Hi Rohit,
         I answered this question a few days ago. Perhaps it did not get through the system. The short answer to your question is no however 'a course' is not the usual path. People who may wish to train horses usually work their way up the ladder, starting as a stable hand, perhaps supplementing that with some course work on horses, working towards a head man position in a stable and then starting out on their own as a trainer. In NZ there are three categories of trainers, Licensed Trainer, Permit to Train and Owner/Trainer.
You can become any one of those.
I suggest you contact Wendy Cooper Executive Officer, NZ Trainers Association P.O.Box 300-073 Albany Auckland NZ email
Wendy can often help find work for people in racing stables. If you have a job lined up it becomes a lot easier to move to NZ.
I hope this answers both questions.

New Zealand

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Don Boddie


Can assist with enquiries relating to internal travel, air, car, train , bus, ferry etc. Accommadation in Homestay, Farmstay, motels, camping etc. Recreational fishing freshwater, sea and gamefishing. Rugby, cricket, horse racing etc. Where and what to eat and drink, wine trails, food festivals etc. Cost effective travelling.


Have travelled extensivley through NZ and currently operate a Homestay just north of Wellington

New Zealand Association of Farm and Home Hosts.
Levin Racing Club
Camp Hohepa inc
Kapiti Boating Club
Nz Recreational Fishing Association

©2017 All rights reserved.