New Zealand/convenient places to visit in/near Wellington and Auckland with a 1-year-old

My husband and I live in India and would like to visit New Zealand for 1 week with our 1-year-old around 24th August this year. We have family in Wellington and Auckland. Could you please suggest some convenient places (day trips) that we could visit, given that we have a baby and that it would be relatively cold at that time of the year. Thanks!

Without knowing the kind of activities you enjoy, and trying to keep you somewhat inside, I have put together a couple of ideas of places to visit.  Of course there are many markets and other attractions as well.  Often I like to just drive around and see what is in a city, which I know is not always easy with a baby.

In Auckland
Kelly Tarltons Underwater World, it is an indoor aquarium that is quite amazing
Maritime museum
Auckland Planetarium
Auckland Dockline tram - as long as it is operating when you are there

In Wellington
Cable Car - you may need to bundle up but as one of the last few working cable cars int he world, it is worth the trip
Southward Vintage car museum
Te Papa Museum this place is quite amazing -

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

New Zealand

Christchurch and Wellington areas (I have lived in both), however I have travelled extensively through New Zealand and can offer help with most regions. Camping, bus tours, accommodation, swimming with dolphins, whale watch, historic places, beaches, car, motorhome, motorbike rental, glaciers, rail and ferry info, mountain biking, skiing, farm info, jet boating, flight sightseeing, caves, lakes, rivers, national parks, tramping (hiking) etc.