Nissan Repair/1997 Nissan Sentra

Emily Jamison wrote at 2008-12-17 22:29:38

I have a 1997 Nissan Sentra GXE.  My tail lights (but not tail brake lights) were both out, and my dashboard and gear shift box lights were out.

I found a burnt-out fuse in the engine-compartment fuse box (it's easily visible right next to the battery), not the driver's side passenger compartment fuse box, labeled "TAIL", 10A.

Replacing this "TAIL" fixed my tail lights.  However, there were no "PANEL" or "INST"-labeled fuses in either box, and the owner's manual has no advice on this.   (My Haynes Repair Manual has no advice, either.)  After checking a few more fuses that were all just fine, I turned on the car anyways, and after a minute or two of playing with the tail lights, blinkers, cabin light, etc, and turning the dashboard light knob (which should control the brightness of the dashboard light when the dashboard light is operational) I noticed that the dashboard light (but not gearshift box light) was on once again.  

I haven't figured out which fuse is for the gear shift box yet.

Hope this helps,

Emily Jamison

Haley wrote at 2013-03-23 04:02:07
Wow GREAT answer. I just checked my fuse box under the hood and sure was a blown fuse...working fine now. Thanks so much.

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita

All general car repairs for all models of vehicles, except technicals (overhauls) on A/C systems and transmissions.

16 years as a car mechanic from 1974 to 1990, and still repair cars on the side.

High School and college graduate