Nissan Repair/1998 Nissan Pathfinder IAC Valve

Joe wrote at 2009-06-16 03:13:56
The IAC Valve on that Pathfinder is not near the throttle body, it is not a simple easy job, and the v avle DOES cost about $200 (even from the mentioned places)... it's under the upper part of the intake plenum, above the left valve cover, up against the firewall. Nearly impossible to change without removing the upper intake assembly, from what I have learned.

Keith wrote at 2009-10-04 22:45:16
I had the same problem with my 1999 Pathfinder, same code, P0505.  Local independent shop told me to take it to the dealership, and that I would spend $200 for the part and $500 for labor, and it would require reprogramming.  I Googled everything I could find on IAC valves for Nissan, and came across a posting from a Nissan Maxima owner who talked about a "ghetto fix": disconnect the idle air line from the main intake going to the IACV (it is one of two smaller hoses coming out of the left side of the main intake air hose that goes from the filter to the air intake, the one closest to the radiator, and attaches to a metal tube that goes over the top of the engine, under the intake manifold); then fill the hose to overflowing with throttle body cleaner and allow to sit for a while (I gave it 30 minutes). Then I cranked it without using the accelerator to force it to suck the throttle body cleaner through the IACV.  I had to crank on it a while, and eventually it started up and idled normally at 775 RPM.  Evidently the gunk buildup in the IACV was keeping the stepper motor from moving the actuator to adjust the airflow, and this was enough to free it up and allow it to work.  I cleared the code and it has been running ok since.  I will keep an eye on it if it throws another check engine code, but so far, so good.  Good luck to you.

JS wrote at 2011-01-12 21:59:31
Im actually waiting right now to see if your method will work on my car....Any problems since this post??

Thanks a lot!

Pete wrote at 2013-06-04 19:52:07
I had an idling problem on my 97 Pathfinder. After some research on the web, discovered it probably was the IAC valve. Unlike Joe's 98 Pathfinder, my valve was out in the open and very easy to get to. It was connected to the intake manifold with about a 10 inch hose. In about 5 minutes I had the valve off. I sprayed the tip with some cleaner but that did not seem to be the problem.

Inside the housing that the valve attaches to and in the hose leading to the manifold, I found a lot of little tiny black granules which I cleaned out completely. I think that these were preventing the valve from functioning correctly. Hopefully this solved the idle issues that I had.

Nissan Repair

Von Sudderth