Nissan Repair/key stuck and stuck in park

Question
I have a 99 nissan altima and the key is stuck in the ignition and the gear shift stuck in park. Do you know what the problem is and a solution.

Answer
Hi -

First of all try wiggling the key and at the same time move the steering wheel back and forth.

If the key cannot be turned to the "lock" position, then the pins are probably not aligned in the cylinder, and it will have to be drilled out.

The ignition consists of 2 parts, the cylinder and the switch. You may replace just the cylinder without removing the entire assembly but you will need some tools. If you are interested in doing this, let me know and I can instruct you. The part should cost about $120.

Hope this helps -
aloha
Calvin

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita