Nissan Repair/1995 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem - Follow Up

Aloha, Calvin, and Merry Christmas!.....

Thaank you for your reponse regarding our 1995 Nissan Maxima.  Yes, the check engine light is on almost continually, but that year of Maxima has a very limited ability to diagnose problems via computer codes (so I am told by several technicians - OBD1, or something like that. The fuel pump has been checked for fuel output - it is OK, and the fuel regulator has been replaced.  Once started, the car runs like a new car on the highway, with plenty of power, no stalling or cutting out, so I do not think the fuel pump or filter is a problem.....what do you know about something called an "ignition module", or "ignition ignitor" for this car?  I have been told that it does not have a distributor.

St. George, Utah

Hi Dan -

With the Nissan Maxima, engine models contained distributors until the 2005 models, when they went to a distributorless system. From 1993 to 2004, the Nissan Maxima models contained both distributor and distributorless systems.

Do you know which engine size you have? 1.6L, 2.0L or 2.4L? If you follow the spark plug wires, you should be able to see if you have a distributor or not.

Yes, the ignition module is usually contained in a distributor. However when it is failing it usually gives problems when the engine is at operating temp.

The OBD1 systems are in the older vehicles, and yes, you are correct - the capacity is somewhat limited, but still, getting the meaning of the code and why the check engine light is on is your key to determining the problem.

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita

All general car repairs for all models of vehicles, except technicals (overhauls) on A/C systems and transmissions.

16 years as a car mechanic from 1974 to 1990, and still repair cars on the side.

High School and college graduate