Nissan Repair/2001 Nissan - Shift button stuck

QUESTION: Hi, the button on the side of the shifter has been getting stuck, I cannot move it to gear.  I step on the breaks, I make sure the steering column isn't locked, nothing works except, if I hit is very hard (which I know I shouldn't do) but it will get it to release.  Happened once about a month ago, not several times in the last 2 days.

ANSWER: Hi Leslie

It looks like that lock button is binding or interfering with the path of the shifter. It will need to be taken apart (the console) and checked out, perhaps the button (system) needs replacement, or the shifter is loose inside, causing the lock to activate.

Are you repairing this yourself?

Hope this helps -

QUESTION: Yes, I probably will try to repair it myself.  How complicated is it?

Hi Leslie -

The job is not too complicated, just have to know what you are looking for. You will need basic tools, such as a philips screwdriver, and 10MM socket set preferably 1/4" drive since space will be an issue. Once you remove the console housing, you will see the shift linkage. First check to see if everything is tight and secure.

As I mentioned, you may have to replace the lock mechanism, and that is a dealer item. Might want to check availability before removing anything.

Hope this helps -

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita

All general car repairs for all models of vehicles, except technicals (overhauls) on A/C systems and transmissions.

16 years as a car mechanic from 1974 to 1990, and still repair cars on the side.

High School and college graduate