Nissan Repair/Dashboard lights flickering

Question
Hi Calvin;

I have a 1999 Maxima 5 speed and my battery and brake lights periodically flicker in unison. I had the charging system tested and the battery is charging. Could it be just a short somewhere causing the flickering or am I about to have an alternator issue? This problem seems to occur most frequently when Ihave the radio and other "stuff" on inside the vehicle. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Kevin -

If it happens most, or prominently when the headlights are on, I would check both the battery and alternator. Battery should check at least 12.5 volts with engine off, and at least 14 volts (no more than 16) with engine running at idle.

You should also do a load test on the battery, but you will need a special tester to do that.

Hope this helps -
aloha
Calvin

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita