Nissan Repair/87 nissan D21 2wd manual engine knock

Question
I have an 87 nissan d21 pickup. The other day while driving the truck started shacking and having a loud knock that varies in speed depending on engine speed. There was a major loss of power as soon as it started. The truck died once trying to move from a stop. It all came on with no warning it was driving perfectly clean I shifted into third gear and out of no where everything went to hell. No warning no sound of something breaking or falling off it just started up out of nowhere and happens In every gear. I plan to check the distributor and make sure it didn't come loose or the rod I sent bad. Other than the timing do you have any suggestions I could look into?

Answer
Hi Jordan -

Other than checking for electrical, has it overheated?
Check coolant level and see if it is OK. From what you describe could be overheating causing the knock.

If the issue happens only when the engine is warmed up, that would probably be the ignition module located in the distributor.

Hope this helps -
aloha
Calvin

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita