Nissan Repair/synthetic motor oil

My 2013 Honda Civic takes 5 quarts of 0W20 synthetic motor oil. I mostly drive in the city and maybe 20% on the highway at 60mph but not very far traveling about 10,000 miles yearly. How often should I change the motor oil ? Jiffy lube says 3,000 miles but I feel that is ridiculous and the owners manual says 5,000 miles which seems too often to me. I feel this is a good money maker for the service centers. What is your opinion? I will thank you in advance for your prompt reply.

Hi Jeff -

I agree with you. Especially if you are using synthetic oil, the interim does not have to be that often between oil changes, unless you drive in a harsh (dusty, or construction) environment.

I drive a 2013 Benz, and my maintenance light came on for the first time last month, at 10,000 miles. So, you are perfectly OK with changing your oil every 10,000 miles.

Hope this helps -

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita

All general car repairs for all models of vehicles, except technicals (overhauls) on A/C systems and transmissions.

16 years as a car mechanic from 1974 to 1990, and still repair cars on the side.

High School and college graduate