Nissan Repair/Nissan Altima 2005

Question
The front end of my vehicle seems to float after going over even small dips. It also rattles both front and rear. The floating is progressively getting worse.

Answer
Hi Kermit -

The feeling of "loss of control" of the front end is usually caused by either faulty linkage or suspension.

With the steering, I would check the following: Tie rod ends inner and outer (the inner would be a part of the steering rack). Idler arm, and upper and lower ball joints. Usually if you lift the wheels off the ground and check for side to side play by moving the tire, you are able to determine if the tie rods are worn, or the idler arm.

If all the above is OK, the it is probably the suspension, which pretty much are the struts. I would replace all 4 front and rear.

Hope this helps -
aloha
Calvin

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita