Nissan Repair/2001 nissan xterra - automatic transmission will not engage in reverse -

Question
Our 2001 nissan xterra will not engage in reverse - it is an automatic transmission - other gears seem fine - no abnormal sounds or smells noted  -any ideas?

Answer
Hi Larry -

Normally under these conditions I would say the transmission will need an overhaul. However there are a couple things I would try first:

If your oil is dirty (pull the dipstick and check the oil). The oil is supposed to be bright red. If it is brown, change the oil.

There is an additive called AT-205. Usually CARQUEST carries it. I have had some great results in the past with this product, even vehicles that did not shift at all. Might want to try that as well.

Hope this helps -

aloha
Calvin

Nissan Repair

Calvin Iwashita