Non-Denominational/will paradise be on earth or in heaven

will paradise and eternal life be on earth or in heaven and will God then dwell on earth after resurrections, in the city of the new Jerusalem

Hi Evelyn,

How are you?  I see you're from Illinois.  I have been to Illinois but I live in Western Canada.

You ask a good question here.  In fact, I've been asked this before and I know other pastors have been asked as well.

The answer is BOTH!

"Then I saw a new heaven AND a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.'" (Revelation 21:1-4.)

The doctrine of paradise earth is unbiblical and therefore must be rejected (Rev. 22:18-19). We shouldn't assume that just because God originally placed Adam and Eve in the paradise
of Eden, then God will restore the earth to its original form one day (paradise earth).

The Bible unquestionably speaks of a "new heavens and a new earth." However, the prophecy in Revelation is clear that the new earth is post-millennial, AFTER the resurrection and final judgment. All these events, were plainly prophesied to occur "after the thousand years have ended" in Revelation 20:5 through 21:5.  The verses invariably have no relevance to the thousand-year time prophecy of Revelation.

Though the majority of religions believe in everlasting life, they generally teach that mankind's destiny is to die and go to heaven. No Scripture says mankind will be resurrected onto earth.  The Bible states that the earth will both remain forever and that it will be destroyed. Let me explain this apparent contradiction.  The Bible indicates this planet will not survive forever but promises a heavenly resurrection.

Matthew 5:11-12 says, "Happy are YOU when people reproach YOU and persecute YOU and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against YOU for my sake. Rejoice and leap for joy, since YOUR reward is great in the heavens; for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to YOU."

After Armaggeddon, we go to heaven for about 1,000 years.  After this time, we come back to earth with God.  

The rebellion has ended. Jesus Christ is the victorious King. The fires of hell have done their purifying work. Satan, sin, and sinners are no more; they have utterly perished from the face of the earth. Gone also are all the works of humanity. Every defiling and hurtful thing has been destroyed in the flames. The results of sin are past.

The destruction of Satan and all his followers will open the way for the complete establishment of Christ’s kingdom upon the earth and the restoration of man to his paradise home.

It was God’s original purpose that righteous people should dwell on the earth, and His purpose, though temporarily halted by the intrusion of sin, will finally be carried out.

“The righteous shall be recompensed in the earth” Proverbs 11:31. This earth is the inheritance of the righteous.

The lake of fire is not to completely destroy the substance of the earth, but to melt and purify it. When the smoke has lifted and only ashes remain, the Lord will once more exercise His creative power by making it new again. This too is God’s promise: for “…he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new…” Revelation 21:5.

On the mount of blessing Jesus said: “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.” Matthew 5:5.

John tells us that he had a view of the home of the redeemed in its restored state; “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.” Revelation 21:1.

The glory of Eden will be fully restored in the new earth. It will be as it was before the curse of sin fell upon it.

Isaiah in vision describes the new earth as it will be restored: “The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose. It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the Lord, and the excellency of our God.” Isaiah 35:1,2. “Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert. And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: in the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.” Isaiah 35:5-7. “No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there: And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.” Isaiah 35:9,10.

The new Jerusalem will become the capital of the universe. In vision, John saw it come down from heaven: “And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.” “And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal: And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:” “And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and be their God.” Revelation 21:2,10-12,3.

I hope this helps Evelyn.  Free to message me back with any further questions or misunderstandings.

Michael Hockaday

I can answer almost anything Biblical related. Salvation, Hell, Heaven, Prophecy, End Times, Jesus, Creation, The Flood, Israel, The Church, Spiritual Gifts, etc, etc. The list is endless. If you're unsure on how to intrepret any area of the Bible, I'll be happy to help you out. Even better, I'll provide proof. When I study the Bible, I STUDY it. Don't be shy...ask away.

As young as 18 years of age, I was preaching full length sermons in church. I spend a lot of time studying the Bible and have been for many years. Presently, I regularly type out full length sermons on the World Wide Web. I also regularly put inspirational material on Facebook, Twitter. MySpace, and on several other sities on the Web...including Google.

Publications Google Facebook Twitter MySpace The Interior News Realm Magazine The Connection

Diploma in Biblical Studies - Liberty University Certificate - It Is Written (online Bible Discovery series.)