Non-US Laws/Judge and Lawyer Dual Roles ?.

Question
Dear Peter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawyer‎

Can a Judge in Supreme Court or High Court or Session court also take a role of a lawyer in civil, criminal cases proceedings ?.

i.e. Once the Lawyer is elevated to a Judge Title, Can he/she also
practice as a Lawyer in court proceedings  ?.

i.e. Can he/she play a dual role of both Judge as well as a Lawyer
in certain court cases ?.

Examples :

1. Some court cases proceeding he/she is the Judge.

2. Some court cases proceeding he/she practices as a Lawyer for the Plaintiff or Defendant.

Does the Law allows him/her to play dual role of Judge as well as a Lawyer once he/she is elevated to Judge Title ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant,

please excuse the delay in response. To the best of my knowledge, there is no jurisdiction in which a sitting judge can simultaneously act as a lawyer. I even did some research, but still could not find any indication to the contrary.

Best regards,

Peter Koch, LL.M., MBA
Attorney at Law (licensed in Germany and New York)

KOCHLAW
Poststrasse 25
20354 Hamburg
Germany

Tel. +49-40-8079364-0
Fax +49-40-8079364-41
e-mail: pk@kochlaw.de
web: www.us-anwalt.de

Non-US Laws

Peter Koch