Nonprofit Law/Food for team going to playoffs

Question
We just recently formed our volleyball booster club and we are unclear as to the rules of "direct benefit" to the athletes. Our varsity team is headed to the playoffs and the booster club would like to provide a box lunch (dinner)and water & Gatorade at no cost to them.  Is this acceptable or are we breaking the rules?  We also wanted to provide a playoff shirt at no cost to them but decided to have them pay for their own shirt at cost.
Thanks for any advice.

Answer
Generally a box lunch is considered acceptable as even colleges provide training tables for the athletes.  T-shirts that may be used for purposes other than when the players are training (or in a meet) would, however, be considered an item of personal benefit.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic