Nonprofit Law/New Booster Club Laws/Rules

Question
Our sports booster club on a high school campus has learned from our ASB Director that new rules will soon apply to our fundraising activities.  A specific example she gave is that fundraising monies raised by the students/team members may not be deposited into the booster account, it must go into the team's ASB account (which we rarely use due to restrictions on use and amount of time it takes them to process a check request).  Can you tell us if you know of any new rules or laws about this?  We are in California.  Thank you.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. There are no new federal rules.  I suggest that you ask your ASB Director for the URL for the new rule (and if you get that you can forward to me and I will comment on it). If the school board has made the rule, that would not apply directly to the independent booster organization (unless that booster organization has a contract with the school board).

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic