You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Non profit softball team sponsor


My daughter is rostered on a 14 u travel softball team. We can and have solicited our own personal sponsors that our team financial director put into our personal softball acct and goes toward our tuition. We plan on leaving this team and going to another.  Can our current team keep that money and do they have any legal rights to it.  Our sponsors filled out forms specifcaly for our daighter by name sponsoring her.  We would just like the money returned to the sponsors if we leave or transferred to our new team

I would need to review any contract between the organization and the sponsor to give you my opinion whether the sponsor would have any course of action, but it appears from what you wrote that the contract is not between you are the team.  If you do have such a contract, please send me the text and I will then reply further.

By the way, the team may not inform potential sponsors that their donations are deductible when they indicate that the funds are going to benefit a particular athlete.  As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations"  which is available at:
on page 6 where the IRS lists as not deductible "Contributions to
individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions
to a qualified organization if you indicate that your
contribution is for a specific person."

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]