Nonprofit Law/preschool separate incorporation

Question
QUESTION: Our preschool is currently under the umbrella of our church, and we are seeking information regarding whether or not to separately incorporate our preschool. We are in California, and would like to know legal and financial impact to both the school and our church. We would also like information regarding how much liability insurance is recommended under either scenario.  

Thank you

ANSWER: I recommend separating the real estate into a separate trust to protect that asset.  Then church operating corporation would not relatively have much need for liability insurance or for spinning off the preschool. I would be willing to work on your matter, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time in drafting and structuring and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: If we do separate, how do we best protect the preschool? We do not want to leave them vulnerable.

Answer
Well, you should make sure that you have proper procedures for training and supervising your help. The lack of that is, by far, the greatest source of exposure.  But what does not the preschool have to protect?

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic