Nonprofit Law/501c3 fraud

Question
I volunteer for a small group that has lost it's 501c3 status for non filing of form 990 since 2007.  Her group was listed in the public announcement in June 2011.  The President of this group still uses her tax exempt number to buy supplies at retail stores.  Are tax exempt numbers not flagged?  Should this fraud be submitted on form 13909 to the IRS?  It is probably not a huge amount.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue about state sales tax is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. However, I will direct you to Ohio's exemption FAQ page which does not seem to require an Ohio nonprofit organization to have federal exemption determination:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Sales to nonprofit organizations operated exclusively in Ohio for certain charitable purposes as defined in sales tax law as follows: "Charitable purposes" means the relief of poverty; the improvement of health through the alleviation of illness, disease, or injury; the operation of an organization exclusively for the provision of professional, laundry, printing, and purchasing services to hospitals or charitable institutions; the operation of a home for the aged, as defined in section 5701.13 of the Ohio Revised Code; the operation of a radio or television broadcasting station that is licensed by the federal communications commission as a noncommercial educational radio or television station; the operation of a nonprofit animal adoption service or a county humane society; the promotion of education by an institution of learning that maintains a faculty of qualified instructors, teaches regular continuous courses of study, and confers a recognized diploma upon completion of a specific curriculum; the operation of a parent teacher association, booster group, or similar organization primarily engaged in the promotion and support of the curricular or extracurricular activities of a primary or secondary school; the operation of a community or area center in which presentations in music, dramatics, the arts, and related fields are made in order to foster public interest and education therein; the production of performances in music, dramatics, and the arts; or the promotion of education by an organization engaged in carrying on research in, or the dissemination of, scientific and technological knowledge and information primarily for the public.
---End of Excerpt---
http://bquot.com/fbr

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic