Nonprofit Law/990ez schedule N dissolution

Question
We are a Non profit and one of our projects became its own 501c3 with its own EIN, and I am wondering how to report the assets that went with the project. 990ez line 20 states Other changes in net assets or fund balances explain in schedule O...however line 36 Part V states Did the organization undergo a liquidation, termination, dissolution, or significant disposition of net assets during the year? if yes, complete schedule N

Does line 36 describe this situation or is line 20 and schedule O the correct place to report the change in assets from year prior?

Answer
Links to Form 990-Ez is through:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990ez.pdf
and the instructions at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i990ez.pdf
and, on the right column of page 18 of those instructions we see:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
A significant disposition of net assets is a sale, exchange,
disposition or other transfer of more than 25% of the FMV of the
organizationís net assets during the year, regardless of whether
the organization received full or adequate consideration. A
significant disposition of net assets may result from either an
expansion or contraction of operations.
---End of Excerpt---

You did not explain whether the disposition of net assets was more than that 25% figure, but, if it was, you would need to complete that Schedule N (as well as the Schedule O).

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic