Nonprofit Law/Non profit merger

Question
Non profit organization "A" and non profit organization "B" have voted and decided to merge without any due diligence, planning, or structuring discussions. The boards of both organizations have members that are employees of a local bank that handles their banking as well as holding a lien on organization "B" building. Is it illegal or unethical for those members to be involved with the merger? Also, if organization "B" is placed under organization "A" 501(c), wouldn't organization "A" be the governing board?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. You did not specify what types of nonprofits, but, I am assuming that you are referring to 501(c)(3) organizations. The IRS has no problem with two 501(c)(3) organizations merging. Your issue is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will direct you to  http://law.justia.com/codes/indiana/2010/title23/ar17/
which is the Indiana Nonprofit Code as revised, 2010 and specifically read the parts about mergers at
http://law.justia.com/codes/indiana/2010/title23/ar17/ch19.html

Also, as to "Contracts and transactions in which member, director, officer, or member of designated body has interest" see
IC 23-17-13-2.5 which is available at http://bquot.com/fic

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic