Nonprofit Law/501(C)3 second change in fiscal year

Question
Due to extenuating circumstances we (a 501c3 organization) need to change our fiscal year.  This would be the second change within the 10 year period. Are there certain steps and approvals we need to go through because of this?

Answer
I am assuming, from what you wrote, that you already found out that the fee is $1500 for filing Form 1128 is filed as mentioned at the top of page
2 of:
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/other_irs_user_fees.pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1128.pdf is the form 1128 for "Changing a
Tax Year" and
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1128.pdf is the instructions for that
form.

Starting on the right column of page 6 of those instruction we see
---Start of Excerpt--
Section D-Tax-Exempt
Under Rev. Proc. 85-58, an
organization exempt under section
501(a) does not have to file Form
1128 unless the following conditions
described in section 3.03 of Rev.
Proc. 85-58 apply:

1. The organization was required
to file an annual information return [Form 990 or 990-EZ] or
Form 990-T, Exempt Organization
Business Income Tax Return, at any
time during the last 10 calendar
years, and

2. The organization has changed
its tax year at any time within the last
10 calendar years ending with the
calendar year that includes the
beginning of the short period resulting
from the change of tax year.
---End of Excerpt--

As you mentioned "10 years", it looks like you read those rules.  I do not know of any know of any other exceptions. I would be willing to work on your matter, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time in checking cases and IRS materials and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic