Nonprofit Law/Mandatory Fundraising Commitments

Question
QUESTION: Our non-profit sports league is requiring each player in the association to purhase a book of raffle tickets for $150.  If raffle books is not pickup or payment received by a certain date, then the player will not be allowed to participate in activities until payment received.  This is not an additional fees required, but a mandatory fundraising commitment of each player.  Each player can either sell them to earn cash back to defray costs of the program or other expenses, or can simply put player name on the tickets and be entered into the drawing.  Is this legal?

ANSWER: In effect the sports league is requiring the player to pay $150 and gives them the option to sell raffle tickets. A sports league is allowed to assess $150 unless there is some agreement or contract between the league and family that provided otherwise, such as an agreement that, if the family paid certain fees at the start of the year then the player would be allowed to participate in activities.

I am assuming the raffle is authorized by law. You may want to check at
http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Charitable-Gaming/District-Columbia/

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: Each player already paid a set fee to start the activity, then two months later the mandatory fundraiser is required each player to purchase the raffle tickets in addition to the set fee paid, then each player can sell them to earn cash back to recover their cost.  Is this in violation of Section 501 (c) (3)?

Answer
Ok. Each player paid a set fee to start the activity.  It appears that you are conceding that there was no agreement that the particular set fee would be all that the players would need to pay for the season. Therefore, there is no federal law violation by the $150 additional requirement.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic