Nonprofit Law/1099s and other IRS forms for foreign contractors and grantees

Question
I am trying to figure out whether or not I need to issue 1099s (or some other IRS form like 1042-S) for:

1-Foreign contractors (all work performed outside of the US)
2-Foreign grantees (all established legal entities in their various home countries, but I don't necessarily know what kind of entity)

The payee/grantor is a US based 501(c)(3) corporation.

(p.s. I just discovered this website- what a great resource.  Thanks very much for what you do!)

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Yours is a question about reports for contractors which applies to both for-profit and nonprofit.  Even though your question is beyond the scope of this forum, I will give you the link
http://goo.gl/ZTa6q
and that explains when income is taxable.  If it is taxable, then the 1099-Misc would be issued.  You certainly can issue 1099s in any case if you want to cover yourself.

As to foreign grantees, see the IRS publication at  www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/0504031.pdf for
details about international grants to and international activities
of U.S. exempt organizations.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic